Monday, December 1, 2008

brownie attempt

As part of a group presentation I'm involved in today, I have baked (or am in the process of baking, to be entirely accurate) a pan of brownies. I have not baked brownies in a very, very long time, and I'm trying to remember if they look the way they should look. I think so. My mother used to make these brownies for every occasion where sweets might be required and they are rich and delicious like no other brownie I have ever eaten.

From Edna Staebler's Food That Really Schmecks:

Brownies

Mix ingredients in the order given.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
pinch salt

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes in a greased cake pan.

Simple, right? It occurs to me that I forgot the salt, as I'm writing that down. Well. I guess they'll be that pinch more heart healthy. Heh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how'd they (and the presentation) turn out?

Unknown said...

Excellent, on both counts. They were necessarily very small, so if I were to make this recipe for over 15 people in the future, I'd double the batch. They're rich but they're not really heavy.

The presentation was also rich and not very heavy. ;)