Saturday, July 25, 2009

progress update: bad news, good news

All right. The morning rounds in the garden provided me some good news, and some bad news. Let's get to the bad news first.

SOMEBODY HAS EATEN MY 'PATIO PICKLE' CUCUMBER PLANTS.

I don't know who you are, but they were just finally blooming and maybe going to give me some pickling cukes. Oh, the blossoms are still left. BUT NO LEAVES. There were leaves yesterday. There were lots of leaves yesterday. There are NONE this morning. Mystery animal that eats cucumber plant leaves, you are on notice. If I find you, you will be sorry. I have the feeling you are not sorry now.

Also, my tomatoes seem to be taking this cold, wet weather particularly hard, and don't even get me started on the single pepper plant that has managed to make it out of seedlinghood. It seems to have stalled just past that stage.

Good news, though!

I am going to have more tomatillos than I know what to do with. And the beans are growing! I may even have a few to take with me for lunch today. And the pumpkins! I'm going to have pumpkins, even with this bizarre weather. The pumpkin plants are going nuts, and there are two healthy looking pumpkins so far, and tonnes of blossoms. The buttercup squash seems less enthusiastic, but it's still trucking along. I noticed two honeybees doing their thing in the flowers this morning, and it was fun to watch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you somehow get lost in butternut squashes at the end of the summer, I'll happily take some off your hands. I loooove butternut squash! In other notes, what's up with you? Give me a call!

Cecelia said...

Mystery animal that eats cucumber plant leaves, you are on notice. If I find you, you will be sorry. I have the feeling you are not sorry now.

Haha! Those lines made me grin like anything. Thanks for brightening up my day!

p.s. v. sorry about your demolished cucumbers.

Unknown said...

Christine - bad news about the squashes. They seem to resent the cool, wet weather and are not doing so well, although the pumpkins are doing just fine. I am hoping that a few days of nice hot sun will help.

celi.a - Thanks for the condolences! :) I actually thought it was pretty funny, the cucumbers being the one plant I thought I would definitely not have to worry about outside the fence. Ah well. One of them seems to have grown back a second leaf, so we'll see if it can manage to come back.

Unknown said...

very cool blog. i'm following you now. you should pop in/follow mine. i have all things books...
nice seeing you.
xo